Thoughts about Fair Trade



Because this video comes up onto my screen when I was bored, I’ll talk about fair trade today.

First of all, I don’t actually know what exactly it is. Wikipedia page told me many fancy words, but too difficult for me to read all of it… too much time consuming! (My boyfriend reads Wikipedia just for fun, ended up spending all night reading about war to new type kitten. Silly Wikipedia!)

Anyway, only thing it’s clear to me about fair trading is that fair trades helps people in developing countries. So when I go to shopping, if there is no quality difference between normal branded products and fair trade ones, I'd rather buy fair trade one even though it costs little bit more than others.

Having been to India, I saw actual serious poverty there. People were working for no money for rich people who makes awful amount of money from those business. While my visit, I know many people try to rip as much as money off from tourists, although I felt so bad to haggle with them over the price. They are fighting with life to get 50p more, so they can live for weeks without worry. I think it’s terrible…

So if my tiny shopping helps them to get reasonable paid job, to improve their working environment and life, it doesn't matter that things cost 50p more than normal products. Some people think that's hypocritical attitude, but you know, better than doing nothing, isn't it? (And I'm not harming anyone, am I?)

0 comments: